Philip is a Director who heads up our IP Protect litigation team and London office.
Before joining Virtuoso Legal, Philip studied Law at Durham University and trained as a solicitor with another boutique intellectual property firm before moving to London in 2012 where he continued to specialise in intellectual property matters, with an emphasis on the technology sector. Philip completed the intellectual property diploma at Oxford University and guests lectures on the subject of intellectual property at a number of London Universities.
Philip specialises in high stakes intellectual property disputes and has acted on a large number of intellectual property cases in both the High Court and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (“IPEC”), together with the Court of Appeal. He also deals with intellectual property oppositions and invalidity proceedings in both the UK Intellectual Property Office and the EU IPO. Philip’s particular interest is the protection of leading brands.
Philip is particularly famous for his successes in the Red Bus Case, Argos vs Argos and being the first to “break the glass ceiling” for the uncapped recovery of his client’s costs in the IPEC.
Philip also assists our non-contentious fee earners in relation to safe guarding their client’s intellectual property rights in order to avoid future litigation, or (if litigation is unavoidable) to make sure the clients are best placed and prepared for the same. Philip also assists on company IP audits and advises businesses on their IP strategy and management on a daily basis.
Qualifications and Accolades
- LLB (Hons) Law – Durham University
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice – Oxford University
- Listed as “Next Generation Lawyer” in The Legal 500, 2018
Philip has been involved in the following intellectual property matters in his career and uses that extensive experience to the benefit of his clients:
- Invista Textiles (UK) Limited and another v Viderabio Limited and others  EWHC 58 (Ch) – successfully defending a leading breach of confidence claim in the biotech industry and obtaining his clients’ costs following an unjust Part 36 offer.
- Freshasia Foods Ltd v Lu  EWHC 638 (Ch) successfully defending breach of confidence claim and obtaining indemnity costs for client.
- Freshasia Foods Ltd v Jing Lu  EWHC 3644 (Ch) – successfully defending interim injunction in relation to non-compete clauses
- Glencairn Crystal Studio Limited and another v Dartington Crystal (Torrington) Limited – successfully defending interim injunction application.
- Link Up Mitaka Ltd (t/a Thebigword) v Language Empire Ltd & Anor  EWHC 2633 (IPEC) (09 October 2018) – a leading successfully inquiry as to damages claim.
- Link Up Mitaka Ltd (t/a Thebigword) v Language Empire Ltd & Anor  EWHC 2728 (IPEC) (17 October 2018) – successfully obtaining unprecedented uncapped costs award in the IPEC.
- Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc  EWHC 231 (Ch) – successfully defending Argos Systems in a leading trade mark case and appeal in relation to the Google AdSense programme.
- Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc  EWCA Civ 2211 (09 October 2018) – successfully defending Argos Systems at the Court of Appeal.
- Monster Energy Company v Shark Energy AG – a international trade mark dispute.
- Ningbo Wentai Sports Equipment Co Limited v Wang  EWPCC 51 – a patent invalidity and a breach of confidence counter claim.
- Temple Island Collections Limited v New English Teas Limited and another  EWPCC1 – a leading copyright infringement judgment, known as “the Red Bus Case”.
- Redwood Trees Limited v Warren Aspey t/a Redwood Tree Surgeons  EWPCC 014 – concerning Passing Off.
- Deakin and Another v Cardrax Limited and Others  EWPCC 3 – a wide range of IP issues, including copyright infringement, breach of licence and bailment.
- Harrison v Streetwise Publications and Others  EWPCC 3 – concerning copyright, false attribution, derogatory treatment and additional damages.
Virtuoso Legal has acted for thebigword Group Ltd for a number of years in connection with intellectual property matters. In particular, they have acted for us in 2 recent substantial litigation matters – both of which were resolved to our great satisfaction. Philip Partington was the solicitor who led on the matters. He was incisive, a fighter and the depth of his knowledge of both IP law and procedure was first class .We are grateful to him for his advice and help.”– Robert Manning – thebigword
Would rather be with him than against him. Top, top, IP Solicitor.”Neil Hughes – Director, Dartington Crystal (Torrington) Limited.
If you need to appoint a litigating solicitor on a case, I would certainly recommend Philip! Philip provides an excellent serviceand well deserves to be a part of the “Best IP Disputes Firm” at Virtuoso Legal!”Karen Morgan – Ipona IP
I found that Phillip provided a high quality service and greatly assisted my understanding and journey through a difficult and complicated process. His approachable, competent and diligent demeanour instilled great confidence when faced with challenges that are out of the norm and one’s comfort zone. His professional, yet personable application brought about the desired outcome and I have no hesitation in highly recommending and commending his professional capabilities to others”John Doyle – Deliberately Different
An excellent solicitor!”Bill Rider – Tetra Consulting
To speak to Philip, or for more information about how we can help you, call: