Founding Director and IP Solicitor
Elizabeth Ward is the Founder and Principal of Virtuoso Legal, having established the firm in 2007. Elizabeth has operated as a leading international intellectual property solicitor for over 30 years.
Elizabeth has an academic background in science and prior to founding Virtuoso Legal worked for a number of international law firms where she specialised exclusively in IP.
Elizabeth did note, however, that intellectual property was neglected within larger firms and that there was an opportunity for a commercially-focused and technical IP specialist practise to enter the market.
Elizabeth now leads a team of uniquely talented specialists who offer some of the most straight-forward, transparent and impactful intellectual property strategy available today.
Elizabeth has been sought after for comment on intellectual property issues from the BBC, Forbes and MSNBC.
- Consecutively ranked as “Leader in their Field” by Chambers and Partners for over a decade
- Recognised by media outlets such as the BBC and Forbes as a “go-to” IP expert
- Owner of Ted, the office dog and Virtuoso Legal official mascot
Linkedin profile for Elizabeth
Kirsten is Vice Principal and head of the commercial department at Virtuoso Legal. She joined Virtuoso Legal in October 2007 and has over 20 years experience advising on Intellectual Property, IT and commercial matters. She is recognised as an elite expert in her field and is widely sought after for being “highly commercial”.
Kirsten advises clients on the protection, management and enforcement of IP rights as well as licensing and other commercial exploitation. This includes drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements.
Kirsten is particularly valued by clients for her ability to work in partnership with key stakeholders, developing impactful legal strategy, enabling rapid and safe business growth.
- BSc (Hons) in Molecular Biology at the University of Manchester
- Dual qualified to practice law in the UK and Australia
- Balances a busy life as a solicitor with two young children and a sausage dog!
Linkedin profile for Kirsten
Hallam Whitehead LLM
Hallam joined Virtuoso Legal in September 2019, having previously enjoyed two successful work experience placements at the firm. Hallam gained a degree in Law prior to specialising in intellectual property on his Masters, focusing on the regulation of big data in his dissertation.
- Awarded a distinction on Intellectual Property LLM, studying areas such as Cyberlaw and IP management
- Began his training contract along with the Legal Practice Course (LPC) in February 2020
- Is an avid sports fan and long-suffering supporter of Leeds United
Linkedin profile for Hallam
Daniel joined Virtuoso Legal in September 2021 and is working in the team as a trainee solicitor. Daniel began his training as a solicitor in early 2022. Daniel completed his LLB at the University of Bristol where he developed an interest in IP litigation.
- Daniel is a keen football fan and supports Barcelona FC.
- Daniel is bilingual, fluent in Arabic and English.
- Daniel also played the trumpet when he was younger.
Linkedin profile for Daniel
Kemal joined Virtuoso Legal in September 2021 and is assisting the team as a paralegal, and began training as a solicitor in 2022. Kemal received his LLB from the University of Southampton in 2016.
- Kemal has spent 4 years working in brand protection, at an international provider.
- Kemal is particularly interested in patents and AI.
- Kemal enjoys rugby and football, and is an Arsenal fan.
Linkedin profile for Kemal
Cameron Ward joined Virtuoso Legal in November 2021 as a paralegal. He became a trainee with the firm on March 1st 2022. Cameron studied Natural Sciences at UCL between 2014 and 2017, specialising in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Following this Cameron completed his Graduate Diploma in Law at The University of Law in 2019-2020. This was followed by an LPC LLM at the University of Law the following year.
- As part of his masters, Cameron completed a Professional Practice Report on IP relating to the Digital Copyright Directive's impact on stakeholders in the EU.
- Cameron's science background extends to lab experience, which he gained in summer placements.
- A self-proclaimed busy bee, Cameron is always looking for something to occupy his spare time be it online gaming, learning a new language or doing something active.
Linkedin profile for Cameron
Christos joined Virtuoso Legal in February 2022, having completed his LLM in early 2022 at the Queen Mary University of London. Prior to this Christos studied his LLB at Maastricht University in the Netherlands and is now pursuing the SQE qualification with a view to qualifying as a solicitor in England and Wales within 2 years. Christos' specific area of interest lies within the creative sectors and media and video games in particular.
- In his spare time Christos enjoys playing the piano.
- Christos speaks 6 languages: Greek, English, German, French, Dutch and Italian.
- Christos has qualifications in wine tasting, having received his WSET Intermediate award.
Linkedin profile for Christos
Brand Protection Specialist
Kostas joined Virtuoso Legal in 2020 as IP and Brand Protection specialist. Kostas offers a broad range of competencies, with a background in trade mark watching, as well as online brand protection with some of the largest entities within the space. Kostas assists the legal team in offering a broader commercial view in relation to IP and Brand Protection as well as helping the Virtuoso Legal team continue to innovate and improve its Brand Protection services.
- Background in Linguistics and an MA in Translation from Surrey University, which got him his first job as a multilingual Trademark watcher and his consecutive career in IP.
- Has had the opportunity to work for top Brand Protection & IP services providers and as an in-house Brand Protection Manager for a global Law Firm.
- A Mental Health First Aider in the past which led to his involvement with mental health and his current training in counselling and psychotherapy.
Linkedin profile for Kostas
Sophie is Virtuoso Legal's cheerful receptionist. She looks after our phone calls and is the first point of contact for anyone giving our office a ring. Sophie loves connecting with our clients and makes sure our callers get through to the right member of staff.
- Sophie has over 10 years customer service and receptionist experience
- She's previously supported both small and large businesses.
- Outside of work, Sophie enjoys cooking and watching films.
Client Relationship Manager
Maria is Virtuoso Legal's client relationship manager, engaging with our clients on a day to day basis to make sure that they are looked after to the highest standard. Maria has worked in the legal profession for 39 years, with a raft of experience in trade mark formalities and maintenance working for large IP firms.
- In her spare time Maria is passionate about charity fund raising, supporting her local community and caring for her family.
- Strong track record in going above and beyond expectations for her clients.
- Powerful communicator with a host of experience working for small and large clients worldwide.
Linkedin profile for Maria
Chris Thompson joined Virtuoso Legal in 2018 as the firm’s Finance Manager. Chris also assists the team in a range of other ways, in a broader general problem-solving capacity. Chris is beloved by the team for his “can do” attitude and positive outlook.
- Experienced background in printing for the legal sector, handling a range of confidential documents and collateral for law firms with a keen eye for detail.
- Currently undergoing an online degree in Computer Science at the OU.
- Over 6ft tall and currently training in Jiu Jitsu (a gentle giant, not to be messed with!)
Linkedin profile for Chris
Martin Douglas Hendry
Digital Marketing Manager
Martin devises innovative communication and business development strategies to help businesses in need of IP expertise connect with Virtuoso Legal. He has an academic background in design, media production and psychology. Martin is also a qualified wine expert and tasting enthusiast.
- PhD from University of Leeds (2016), researching how smartphones have changed how people use photography
- Within 3 years at Virtuoso Legal rose to a management role within the firm
- Hobbyist conceptual photographer and long-distance runner
Linkedin profile for Martin
Junior Marketing Executive
Todd Bateman is a Junior Marketing Executive at Virtuoso Legal, joining the firm in 2020 and having qualified as an apprentice in July 2021. Todd assists the marketing manager in championing the work of the Virtuoso Legal team far and wide.
- Todd qualified as a Digital Marketing Apprentice in 2020, completing his apprenticeship during lockdown.
- Todd is a video and photography specialist, working on video editing in his spare time.
- Todd is a life long Leeds fan, and enjoys spending his time in the gym.
Linkedin profile for Todd
Linkedin profile for Kate