Founding Director and IP Solicitor
Elizabeth Ward is the Founder and Principal of Virtuoso Legal, having established the firm in 2007. Elizabeth has operated as a leading international intellectual property solicitor for over 30 years.
Elizabeth has an academic background in science and prior to founding Virtuoso Legal worked for a number of international law firms where she specialised exclusively in IP.
Elizabeth did note, however, that intellectual property was neglected within larger firms and that there was an opportunity for a commercially-focused and technical IP specialist practise to enter the market.
Elizabeth now leads a team of uniquely talented specialists who offer some of the most straight-forward, transparent and impactful intellectual property strategy available today.
Elizabeth has been sought after for comment on intellectual property issues from the BBC, Forbes and MSNBC.
- Consecutively ranked as “Leader in their Field” by Chambers and Partners for over a decade
- Recognised by media outlets such as the BBC and Forbes as a “go-to” IP expert
- Owner of Bonnie, the office dog and Virtuoso Legal official mascot
Linkedin profile for Elizabeth
Registered Foreign Lawyer
Ross earned his stripes as a young lawyer while gaining invaluable experience with top Scottish firms Brodies, Bird Semple, McGrigor Donald and corporate law specialists Dickson Minto before branching out in his own firm Hood Dunlop, which he ran for seven years, latterly from his office in Edinburgh’s prestigious Charlotte Square.
Head-hunted by Scottish firm Morisons during the late 1990s, he reached the top of his profession in Corporate Practice as their Senior Partner in Corporate Law, before leaving to concentrate on providing a more focused, advisory service to a smaller number of businesses.
Linkedin profile for Ross
Jordan Davies is an associate solicitor who helps drive forward the firm's IP dispute caseload - as well as overseeing the work of the junior members of the team.
Jordan trained as a solicitor with the team from 2017 to 2019, then continued her development at a series of other firms before rejoining the team in 2022 as an associate.
During this time, Jordan has assisted a whole host of businesses from startups to global players with maximising the value of their IP.
- Worked on notable VL cases during her training, including Invista v VideraBio and Glencairn v Dartington Crystal
- Jordan received a first-class LLB and a distinction in her MA in Law focused on IP.
- Proud owner of Katie, the French bulldog.
Linkedin profile for Jordan
Foreign Qualified Lawyerr / Trainee Solicitor
Simone Nel is a trainee solicitor, who helps support the firm’s non-contentious caseload, as well as assisting junior members of the Virtuoso Legal team.
Simone joined the team in 2023, having worked at one of the largest full-service law firms in Africa, and having qualified as an admitted attorney of the Western Cape High Court in South Africa.
Simone will be seeking her qualification as a solicitor in the UK whilst also bringing an array of experience and expertise in engagement with commercial entities of the highest level to assist with Virtuoso Legal’s caseload. Simone also has experience working with a global legal services provider, offering clients a commercial view of their legal matters.
- Qualified as an attorney of the Western Cape High Court in South Africa
- Bachelor of Law from Stellenbosch University, previously ranked as a top 200 Law BA globally
- Simone enjoys reading, watching rugby and learning about wine, (having grown up in the Cape Winelands, this is considered an essential skill!)
Linkedin profile for Simone
Daniel joined Virtuoso Legal in September 2021 and is working in the team as a trainee solicitor. Daniel began his training as a solicitor in early 2022. Daniel completed his LLB at the University of Bristol where he developed an interest in IP litigation.
- Daniel is a keen football fan and supports Barcelona FC.
- Daniel is bilingual, fluent in Arabic and English.
- Daniel also played the trumpet when he was younger.
Linkedin profile for Daniel
Christos joined Virtuoso Legal in February 2022, having completed his LLM in early 2022 at the Queen Mary University of London. Prior to this Christos studied his LLB at Maastricht University in the Netherlands and is now pursuing the SQE qualification with a view to qualifying as a solicitor in England and Wales within 2 years. Christos' specific area of interest lies within the creative sectors and media and video games in particular.
- In his spare time Christos enjoys playing the piano.
- Christos speaks 6 languages: Greek, English, German, French, Dutch and Italian.
- Christos has qualifications in wine tasting, having received his WSET Intermediate award.
Linkedin profile for Christos
August is Virtuoso Legal's cheerful receptionist. She looks after our phone calls and is the first point of contact for anyone giving our office a ring. August loves connecting with our clients and makes sure our callers get through to the right member of staff.
- August has over 10 years customer service and receptionist experience
- She's previously supported both small and large businesses.
- Outside of work, August enjoys cooking and watching films.
Client Relationship Manager
Maria is Virtuoso Legal's client relationship manager, engaging with our clients on a day to day basis to make sure that they are looked after to the highest standard. Maria has worked in the legal profession for 39 years, with a raft of experience in trade mark formalities and maintenance working for large IP firms.
- In her spare time Maria is passionate about charity fund raising, supporting her local community and caring for her family.
- Strong track record in going above and beyond expectations for her clients.
- Powerful communicator with a host of experience working for small and large clients worldwide.
Linkedin profile for Maria
Chris Thompson joined Virtuoso Legal in 2018 as the firm’s Finance Manager. Chris also assists the team in a range of other ways, in a broader general problem-solving capacity. Chris is beloved by the team for his “can do” attitude and positive outlook.
- Experienced background in printing for the legal sector, handling a range of confidential documents and collateral for law firms with a keen eye for detail.
- Currently undergoing an online degree in Computer Science at the OU.
- Over 6ft tall and currently training in Jiu Jitsu (a gentle giant, not to be messed with!)
Linkedin profile for Chris
Junior Marketing Executive
Todd Bateman is a Junior Marketing Executive at Virtuoso Legal, joining the firm in 2020 and having qualified as an apprentice in July 2021. Todd assists the marketing manager in championing the work of the Virtuoso Legal team far and wide.
- Todd qualified as a Digital Marketing Apprentice in 2020, completing his apprenticeship during lockdown.
- Todd is a video and photography specialist, working on video editing in his spare time.
- Todd is a life long Leeds fan, and enjoys spending his time in the gym.
Linkedin profile for Todd
Linkedin profile for Kate