Nobody wants to speak to their lawyer
I hope you’re having a good week.
De facto, nobody wants to speak to their lawyer.
That’s because there are some uncomfortable preconceptions that come with it.
For one, people think it is going to be expensive. After all, many lawyers famously charge by the hour, and in many instances, the clock starts ticking as soon as the phone has been picked up.
In addition to this, you typically speak to your legal team when things have gone wrong. They can be the firefighters who, once something has got out of control, conduct a damage limitation exercise.
So, when people think of lawyers there is a bit of a Pavlovian response – simply put lawyers become associated with the pain of a legal dispute and an associated black hole of legal costs.
In our industry, these are recognised pain points – and many law firms, including ourselves, do what we can to avoid the negative stereotypes that haunt our industry.
Long story short, in recent years this has meant a much friendlier and approachable industry (and long may it continue!) which is to the benefit of all.
But as you know, we always like to look at what is going on in the industry and go the extra mile.
For us, this is about building truly meaningful and lasting relationships with our clients.
But what does that mean exactly?
Well, I think it is best summed up in a few key promises we make and fulfil with each and every client.
- Before anything else, we are people. We just happen to be good at the legal bit. This means no unnecessary formality and parking the ego at the door. We don’t feel the need to impress this way, we prefer to demonstrate our value through the advice we give and the work we do.
- We are not here to just solve your problem in the short term but build wealth into your business over time. Whilst we are great at addressing critical issues, we are less of a legal A+E and more of an IP health clinic. Addressing an emergency is the first step, after that, we help you avoid issues in the future and profit from your big ideas.
- We will tell you what you need to know when you need to know it. No legalese, no jargon, no sugar-coated or cryptic advice. Better to pull the plaster off and give you our “warts and all” assessment. Each and every time we find that our clients appreciate direct actionable truth – after all, this puts you in the best possible position to move forward.
- We will charge fairly and only for necessary work. This is a big one. We are always available and approachable to our clients. This means if you want to speak to me, the clock is not on until we start meaningful legal work for you (at which point you will always be notified). You pay for our experience and expertise applied to help achieve your business goals – no fluff.
- We are partners in your success and that is the absolute priority. We take our time to fully understand your commercial objectives and give you our honest assessment of how this is best achieved. The success of our work is only measured on your terms.
Ultimately the long-term success and growth of our clients serve our best interest – and a cynical short-term approach that keeps clients at distance and focuses on maximising our profit only serves to cut these relationships short.
Simply put, it's common sense to help our clients as best we can, as a mutually beneficial relationship serves everyone involved much better. I’m sure you’ll agree.
With that being said, if you want to pick my brain, do get in touch, I will be more than happy to have a chat. Just drop an email using the button below. Let’s chat.
On a more sombre note.
You may have noticed that on account of the passing of Her Majesty the Queen, there was no email last week.
All the team at Virtuoso Legal were moved by the observances this weekend, which were watched around the world by billions.
Truly an end of an era, and a moment in history.
All the best, I hope you have a great week,