James Gilmer works at Virtuoso Legal as a trainee solicitor having joined the firm in March 2019. James benefits from a versatile legal background with experience contracting for legal service providers, working In-house legal at Miss World Limited in London, and working in private practice as a paralegal at Mayer Brown International LLP in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution department, prior to starting his training contract.
James excels in both contentious and non-contentious matters in the Intellectual Property field and enjoys putting to use the specialist knowledge he has gained throughout his graduate and post-graduate education.
James is currently enjoying his first seat in with the IP Protect team and assists the partners and solicitors at Virtuoso Legal
Previous work has included:
- Management of global trade mark portfolios for a well-known brand;
- dealing with trade mark infringement, copyright infringement, and passing off disputes;
- trademark settlement negotiations and agreements;
- intellectual property due diligence, including clearance searches for trade marks, document review;
- competition law litigation;
- commercial fraud;
- television Rights distribution agreements;
- GDPR Data Subject Access Requests;
- confidentiality agreements;
- commercial agreements;
James has an LLB (Hons) from the University of Manchester, and also has an LLM in Intellectual Property Law from the same law school. He has continued to develop interest in the intellectual property field since the beginning of his higher education and was able to further this not only through post-graduate education, but also at elective level on his Legal Practitioners Course (LPC) in London.
Whilst on his LLM, James covered a diverse range of intellectual property subject-matter including: trade marks, copyright, design rights, patents, traditional knowledge/genetic resources, competition law, and intellectual property policy both in the UK, EU and the US.
He is particularly interested in the field of trade marks and online copyright infringement, and his final research papers reflected this with their focus in trademark parody and injunctive relief to online copyright infringement.
- LLB (Hons) Law – University of Manchester
- LLM (Hons) Intellectual Property Law – University of Manchester
- LPC- University of Law, London (Moorgate) (6 Month Accelerated)
To speak to James, or for more information about how we can help you, call:
0113 237 9900